Money Saving Tip
Our #1 tip for saving money is to rent a storage unit that is one that is located in a interior hallway or on a upper floor in the building. These types of storage units rent for a considerable discount compare when compared to drive up storage units.
Our #2 great money saving tip is prepaying your rent in advance. Most self storage contracts are on a month to moth basis, if you know your going to be there longer than 6 months, consider paying your rent in a lump sum of 6 months or 1 year in exchange for a discount!
Revisit our home page and watch the video on the bottom of the page for more cheap storage tips.
- Cover storage unit floor with a sheet of plastic – You want a barrier between the floor and your store items.
- Use sturdy or durable boxes – Used boxes can fall apart during long term storage.
- Use plenty of clean packing paper or bubble wrap in boxes – Particularly for china and glasses (these items should be individually wrapped)
- Pack books flat in small boxes for easy lifting.
- Thoroughly clean all items before putting them into storage, particularly, appliances like freezers and refrigerators.
- Store heavy items in the rear of the storage unit.
- Store mirrors on their edge, not flat. Pack mirrors individually with strong cardboard.
- Use plastic wrap on upholstered furniture and use plastic mattresses covers for beds.
- Protect furniture with storage blankets or plastic wrapping.
- To maximize storage space, use uniform size boxes, and place the biggest boxes on the bottom rows.
- Create an Aisle so that you can retrieve your items easier.
- Store frequently used items near the front of the storage unit.
- Always put an insect and rodent control in your unit.
- Get a Good Lock – Use a disc type lock instead of a padlock (these can be easily cut).
Typical Storage Unit Sizes
- 5×5 – Size of a small closet.
- 5X10 – Size of large closet.
- 10X10 – Small one bedroom apartment without appliances. Most popular size.
- 10X15 – Two bedroom apartment or house without appliances.
- 10X20 – Two bedroom with appliances. Also perfect for storing a car or truck.
- 10X30 – Three bedroom house with appliances and furniture. Also good for storing a larger car, truck, or small boat.
Go here to discover how you can get an Instant 15% Discount and free delivery for Box Kits and Moving Supplies.